Friday, October 8, 2010

Eating out: Buenos Aires

After eating here I´ve decided that Odysseus must have landed not on some island but instead in Buenos Aires when his men partook in the eating of Helios cattle.  The meat here is about as good as anything i´ve ever had in the US and cheaper than a super sized 1/4 punder with a McFlurry.  Last niight after taking a few sips of wine and nibbling on some bread, the waiter arrived with a succulent portion of beef tenderloin medallions.  I said a quik prayer, and then sinking my fork into that first delicate piece, i found that the meat folded right apart, making th use of a knife superflous (perhaps as much so as this description).  With just less than copious amounts of flavor, the niblet took my tastebuds on a wonderful journey that started in a green pasture and ended in some blissful community just south of heaven.  Next a small fried portion of potato caught my gaze and took me, be it along a different route, right to the same local.  The rest of the night continued as we were serranaded by a multitude of different languages, only one of which was our own.  Then the check came, slowly we unflolded it.  3/4 of a bottle of wine, two extravagently tasty steaks, one water, bread, what had we done?  Would i be packing my bags early, could my somewhat dimishing undergraduate pocket book servive such a thrashing.  The check turned gravely in my hands, and there it was. Few times had numbers with so many digits appeared on bills belonging to me (even on those occaisions my parents were the ones gracious enough to provide the monetary backing for such eyeboggling expenses).  And then, a discovery.  122 pesos only amounted to around 30 dollars americana, and since I still maintained my somewhat stingy ways from times past, Keiths portion and not my own comprised the majority of the cost.  Thougths of lonely plane rides were ommited and and I scoffed the idea of an early return as the equivalent of around 13 dollars easily left my once perspiring palms that now confidently gripped a seemingly meager amount of money considering the magical feast that had just transpired. 
After taking one last breath full of remembrance, we departed our oasis of mastication to return the bohemian residence curerntly serving as our place of rest.

1 comment: