Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bedding down in the sand

Well I have a month left before I head back to the states and Keith starts his slow decline towards depression.  After leaving Huanchaco where we spent the majority of our time fighting off the cold water, fighting off sickness, and fighting boredom via surfing and eating cheap yet tasty food, we are now in Mancora.  I can see why so many people flock here for their summers.  The soft sand is flooded with tourists and locals alike, all out to catch a mixture of sun and waves.  I personally have been very successful in the former of these two endeavors as I ripped off my toenail on a rock coming in after our first surf session.  This has left me doing plenty of reading, wave watching, writing and chilling with some of our other hostel goers who themselves are usually nursing hangovers or catching up on sleep.  However, my toe is looking better and tonight we leave for Ecuador.  Our first and possibly only long term stop is Mantañita.  If things go well both Keith and myself should be able to trade work for free room and board at a hostel allowing us to save some change while meeting plenty of people.  Of course the relatively shorter work hours would provide ample time for me to catch the one good wave I have been jonesing for since we first bought our boards back in lima. 

In other news I am fairly sure that I have reached an all-time high in the freckle department, I was also able to go for a jog without wanting to keel over and die so that was nice.  Minus the toe the beaches have been great to us and I while I cannot wait to get home, I am definitely stoked to take full advantage of the next three or four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment